Back to Trail

Conwal Parish Church

View on Google Maps

Conwal Parish Church is a Church of Ireland church located opposite the Cathedral of St Eunan and St Columba at the top of Church Street (at the time, near the home of the founders of Letterkenny, George and Joanna Marbury). The church was initially built in 1636, as indicated by the original date stone located in the tower, and although most of the building underwent extensive renovation, in 1766, the tower is probably the oldest built structure in Letterkenny.

Select Learn more below, to see the video to learn more about the history and interesting people who were buried in the grounds of Conwal Parish Church.

The building is believed to have been constructed when a church located at Conwal, not far from Churchill, fell into ruins. The church is rubble built with an ashlar spire. The interior retains its early 19th century cast-iron circular roof, trusses and a short gallery and twisted brass brackets.

The Civil Survey of 1652-56 gives an interesting image into what the town was like in the 17th century:

"There is a town called Letterkenny which hath a market every Friday and two fairs in the year with a fair Church and a bridge at the east end over the River Swilly".

There is a popular myth that the remains of Redmond O'Hanlon are also located on the church grounds. A large flat stone in the graveyard opposite the vestry door marks a Hanlon family grave several decades younger than O'Hanlon's death. An obelisk stands at the East side of the church to commemorate Rev. Dr. John Kinnear, a Presbyterian minister in Letterkenny, who was M.P. for County Donegal and carried the banner for Tenants Rights in the 1880s. Joseph Stopford, grandfather of Stopford Augustus Brooke, is a former rector of the church.

Back to Trail